Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fido


Fido is a unique zombie film. It takes place in the 50s after a cloud of radiation appeared around Earth and causes the reanimation of corpses. Zomcon and its founder invented a collar has been invented to make zombies docile for enslavement. Timmy is a little boy who is bullied and ridiculed at school. His mother is obsessed with being the perfect family (while ignoring the family's problems), and his father is obsessed with staying dead and is content to ignore his son. They decide to get a zombie (as a servant). Timmy bonds with Fido, the zombie, and finds the friend and father figure he never had. When Fido's collar malfunctions and he starts eating people, Zomcon will destroy Fido if it's found out. Can Timmy hide Fido's mistakes and keep him?

I love this movie. First of all, I love the fashion and music of the 50's. The sets and constumes are vibrant andI'm so sad that there is no soundtrack for sale. I would snatch it up in an instant. Using this era as a background really makes this movie different from others in the genre. Zombie violence provides a stark contrast to the perfect suburban neighborhoods. Second, the acting is great. Bill Connelly, although he has no lines, is the prefect Fido. He's loveable, protective, yet still creepy. Carrie Anne Moss plays Timmy's mother wonderfully. I like the layers she gave the character. Underneath her perfect exterior, she just wants to be wanted and noticed by her husband. It is a bit creepy when she find this in Fido instead. The fact that he is seen as an object makes him see the humanity in Timmy's mother, who in turn is only seen as her husband's property.

There are so many laugh out loud moments in this film: from the little song the school children are taught ("In the brain, not the chest. Head shots are the very best.") to the fact that old people are not to be trusted to Mr. Theophilus's unorthodox relationship with his zombie Tammy. There are countless great moments. It really is a feel good movie, which is weird for a zombie movie. Don't miss out on this one!

4 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

huh? a feel-good zombie movie? gonna have to check this out for myself. and i can see what you mean about the vibrant colors of the film with the photo you included.

Misty said...

All I needed to see was that still-frame and the line "Fido is a unique zombie film. It takes place in the 50s" and I am hooked.
Must watch.
Maybe I'll watch and review it for my Helluva Halloween Challenge. That is, if I can get my hands on a copy...

titania86 said...

I think it's pretty easy to find. You could get it on Netfilx or Blockbuster or whatever. I'd love to see what you think of it!

The Cheshire Cat said...

Great review. I like the way you think. Personally, I think this movie has all the right things going for it. Amazing cast, great cinematography, unique premises and lots of laughs. I think it's great to see a zombie-apocalypse movie where humanity is improved as a result. What would you do with your own zombie servant? I'd get him to fold laundry. I have laundry.

I also got the chance to review this movie on my Horror Movie Review blog. Take a look if you get a chance, I can always use some feedback from another critic.

http://horrormoviemedication.blogspot.com/2013/03/fido-zombie-is-mans-best-friend.html