Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Deadgirl and Zombie Feminism

I'm really looking forward to the film Deadgirl. The premise sounds a bit weird and really isn't for everybody. Basically, two high school guys find a naked zombie girl tied down in the basement of an abandoned mental institution. I can see this plot going so many different ways. I wanted to see it in the theater, but I wasn't able to make it in the short time it was in the Laemmle Sunset 5 theater in Hollywood.

The one thing that really excites me about this movie is the concept of zombie feminism. The first zombie feminist was the Bride of Frankenstein when she said no to her creator and the monster she was created to be with. I know that horror movies in general aren't really known for feminism, but there are films like this out there. I love how io9.com boils down the message behind Deadgirl: "...man shouldn't rape women because those women might turn out to be superpowered zombies who want to eat your you-know-what." (You can read the rest of the article here: http://io9.com/5053881/zombie-feminism.) This concept really holds my interest and I hope more films follow in this trend.


Here's the IMDB page if you want to find out more about it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896534/

3 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

whoa! whoa. whoa. after reading that article about zombie feminism - whoa. thanks for introducing this element of zombie to me. i'm going to have to explore it more. interesting tie-in with twin peaks as i used to watch it way back when. i'll have to netflix deadgirl as i don't i could handle some of the scenes on the big screen. whoa.

titania86 said...

Lol. The article was great. I didn't mean to overwhelm you. I'll let you know what I think of the film after I see it. It comes out September 15.

Heather G. said...

Never heard of Zombie Feminism...sounds intriguing!