Friday, September 4, 2009

Diary of the Dead


Jason Creed is filming a horror movie when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. The crew returns to their college to find chaos and Jason's girlfriend, Debra. They don't really know what to do, so they head to Debra's home to find her family. On the way, they have to fight through the undead and figure out how to survive. All the way, Jason is obsessed with recording their story so that others might be helped.

I don't know why so many people didn't like this movie. It wasn't an A+ in my book, but I consider it a decent zombie film. The movie filmed in the Blair Witch shakey camera style. I normally don't like this style, but there are a few exceptions, like this and Quarantine. The quality of the camera makes sense since they were in the process of making a film, unlike Cloverfield that was supposed to be on some random camcorder. Sometimes dropping the damn camera and helping your friends is much more helpful than just standing and filming, but the characters don't seem to think so. Also, the wannabe Sarah Connor voice over gets a little old.

The characters encounter a variety of different conflicts, including zombies (obviously), backstabbing friends, crazy friends, dying batteries, and bullying military men. I like that the zombies are slow, not super fast with cheetah sounds like in the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Fast zombies just never made sense to me. The muscles and joints would atrophy so fast that they would run for a short time and then spend the rest of the time crawling on the floor. But that's just my theory.

This film is a lot better than most people make it seem. It's a great addition to zombie canon. I'm looking forward to George A. Romero's next film, Survival of the Dead.

3 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

I totally agree about the muscle atrophy thing. Fast zombies are illogical! Not to mention really, really creepy.*-_-
You've seen Cloverfield? I haven't, what're they running from? I don't want to see it, I just want to know what the monster is! :)

titania86 said...

Cloverfield wasn't that great of a movie. They were running from a big alien thingy. It's nothing really special. You could probably find a clip on youtube that shows it if you wanted to.

vvb32 reads said...

ok, you've just contributed yet another flick to my to-watch list! ;-D