Monday, July 23, 2012

SDCC 2012: More Awesome Encounters

In addition to a great many authors, I met  few other famous people as well:

1) Kirby Krackle


It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of this nerd band from Seattle. They have songs about every nerd subject from video games to comic books to zombies and vampires. Their lyrics are so original and often give details about the subject of their songs without flat out saying "this is a song about Thor!" They have been going to Comic Con for 4 years, always with a new album (this year's is their live album) and I hope to see them at many many more. I got to talk to Kyle Stevens about his inspirations and if they will ever write a My Little Pony song. They are always happy to talk with fans and he even wrote out the chords for Another Castle on ukulele for me. I just wish they performed in California more often.

2) Rick Genest



Rick Genest is also known as Zombie Boy and famous for being in Lady Gaga's Born This Way video, modelling, and the tattoos he has over most of his body. I had no idea Tonner made a doll of him and he was signing pictures and t-shirts and stuff. He was very open about his tattoos and seems like a pretty cool guy.

3) Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick


I immediately recognized them outside of the Defiance restaurant from the reality show Face Off. They are both formidable makeup artists and act as judges on the show. Ve worked on pretty much all of Time Burton's live action films and Glenn worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and The Hunger Games. They were busy, but took a quick picture with me and my boyfriend.

4) Tara Strong


Tara Strong does so much voice acting it is ridiculous. She was Bubbles in The Powerpuff Girls, Timmy in The Fairly Oddparents, Truffles from Chowder, Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the list goes on and on. She was in 2 different panels we went to, one for MLP and one for companions for the StarWars Knights of the Old Republic. Plus she was at a booth doing signings and we also ran into her on the exhibition floor in the last 5 minutes of the convention. She is always super sweet and frequently goes in and out of various character voices she has done over the years.

5) Nicholas Brendon


This is one of the few instances I couldn't reign in my fangirliness. I first started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer when I was 10 years old and it hugely effected my life. I gushed all over him about much Xander brought to the show and he gave me a hug. It was one of my favorite encounters of Comic Con.

Panels tomorrow!! And there is more than one this year!

No comments: