Friday, July 29, 2011

SDCC 2011: Author Signings and Sightings, Part 1

Ok. Now that I don't feel like just curling up in a ball and sleeping all day due to this stupid cough, I can get on with my blog. Yay! Anyway, I saw quite a few authors at Comic-con. Many more than in previous years. Some were doing formal signings and some I just found by crazy random happenstance. Of course, being me, I get so excited in most cases that I forget that there is a camera around my neck and thus there are no pictures of most of the authors I saw. *sigh*


1) Erin Morgenstern was signing at the Summit Entertainment booth. Her book isn't actually out yet, so she was signing posters for The Night Circus. It's going to be made into a film by Summit, which I am totally looking forward to. I just got to speak to her for a couple of minutes, shouting over the crazy announcer guy's running commentary of her signing and giving away of Twilight stuff, but I paused the line and let her know how much I enjoyed her book. She was super sweet and I hope she comes to the LA area for her book tour in September.

2) Isaac Marion did a signing at the Mysterious Galaxy booth. I sprinted there first thing to get a ticket in line because his book Warm Bodies is one of my absolute favorite zombie books. Because I was not going to miss him, my boyfriend and I were the first people in line. He was really nice and let me know about his blog, Burning Building (where he just posted about some casting for the movie version of his book and mused about a possible sequel) and a short story prequel to Warm Bodies that he finds better than the novel that will be coming out in the future. I will be looking out for that new release because we can never have too much zombie goodness.

3) My boyfriend and I ate at this awesome Italian restaurant called Chianti and we were on our way back to the convention center when I noticed 2 things: there was a guy wearing a Christopher Moore Bite Me T-shirt and that the same guy was Scott Sigler, author of Infected, Contagious, and Ancestor. I didn't want to bother him since he was just having dinner with his friends, but my boyfriend thought we should at least say hi. He wasn't annoyed at all and even recognized us from the 3 signings he did in LA over the past few years that we'd been to. I asked about his upcoming books and my boyfriend talked to him about Metallica. On Sunday, he was having a gathering in a sports bar of his fans, but we weren't staying that long. :( I can't wait for Pandemic, the last of the Infected trilogy, and the reissue of Nocturnal.

More author signings tomorrow!

*** I apologize that the flash on my camera blasts the crap out of everything. And yes, I really am that pale. ***

1 comment:

vvb32 reads said...

thanks for sharing your comic con experience! woot for the goodies got!