Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TV Themes I'm Obsessed With

Amy Ratcliffe at Geek with Curves did a post about theme songs she just couldn't skip when she watched them on Netflix or on DVD when it's really easy to get tired of them. Of course I have to post my own (and steal 2 of them from her).

1) Lexx


If you haven't seen or heard of this show, it's not surprising. Lexx is a quirky, weird, Canadian science fiction show about a crew consisting of a dead man, a love slave/cluster lizard, and a robot head aboard a living ship and their adventures. About 2 summers ago, I watched all 4 seasons with one of my friends and I was always eager to hear the Brunnen G battle song. It's on Netflix (even though is censored which I abhor, but it's better than nothing). The first season is a little rough to get through because the effects are so bad, but it gets better as it goes along. The characters and story are always funny and interesting and I wish the series was longer.

2) Doctor Who


I first watched Tom Baker and Peter Davison as the Doctor and liked the cheesy and dated show. I recently started watching the revival of the series with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant as the Doctor. In the past few weeks, I've watched three and a half of the five and half seasons so far. I absolutely love this show and I feel excited and giddy every time I hear the theme. My favorite version of the theme is in the first and second season. If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it. The writing and acting is excellent and the effects get better as time goes on. The cast of characters is large and diverse and you're guaranteed to recognize some faces if you've seen any British TV or films at all.

3) Dollhouse


Dollhouse is a short lived TV show about an organization that rents people out with whatever personality desired for lots of money. Eliza Dushku really shined in this sci-fi show and I'm so disappointed it didn't get the chance to continue. The ramifications of the technology used to erase, create, and replace personalities in people was far reaching and a very interesting concept. The theme song is called What You Don't Know by Jonatha Brooke. It's a great song that works well for the show's concept and feel.

4) Firefly


Firefly is one of the best and underrated science fiction shows ever. Just watch the first episode and you're guaranteed to become addicted. It's only 14 episodes and 1 full length film long. This song is also one of the best themes. The lyrics, style, performance, everything is perfect. I can't get enough of it. It's one of the most played songs on my iPod.

5) True Blood


This show is a guilty pleasure of mine that I am both horrified and riveted by. It's pretty horrible, yet entertaining. The theme and the accompanying images really set the tone for the sleazy, creepy, sexy show. I don't really like country music, but the song really grew on me and I look forward to hearing it every time I watch an episode. I am looking forward to another season full of ridiculous story lines, bad acting, and creepy sex scenes.

So this is my list of shows that make it blasphemous to skip the theme songs. What about you guys? Any shows or theme songs you're obsessed with right now?

2 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

gal after my own heart. my faves too. actually started rewatching lexx on netflix last week.

Natalie said...

I love Firefly! I really need to see Dollhouse. It's the only Joss Whedon show I've yet to watch!