Thursday, March 17, 2011

Internet Awesomeness: St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all! Everyone is Irish today and I want to share my favorite Irish inspired songs from the internets in celebration.

1) The Rocly Road to Dublin sung by The Dubliners is one of the first Irish songs I ever heard. My dad bought a Celtic anthology CD and this became one of my favorite tracks. It has a momentum and energy that is irresistible. It has also recently been featured in the Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr.


2) Flogging Molly is an Irish American band based in LA that combines traditional Irish tunes with punk rock music. The song Requiem for a Dying Song is one of my favorites of theirs from their album Float.


3) Even though Nightwish is a Finnish group, this song, Over the Hills and Far Away, is a cover of the original by Gary Moore, an Irish blues and rock musician. This song totally rocks, but the Celtic influences are still very present. I used this version instead of the original because I heard it voice and Tarja is an amazing singer.


4) The Boondock Saints is an excellent film about two Irish brothers that see injustices in the world and become inspired to right those wrongs. It's funny, sad, and horrifying all at once. I would recommend this movie to just about everyone, but if you're offended by blood or offensive language, I would stay away from this one. This is the opening theme for the film called The Blood of Cuchulainn.


Hope you all had a fun St. Paddy's Day!!

No comments: