Thursday, October 7, 2010

More Lovecraft!

When I did my previous post about Lovecraft in other medias, I forgot two things!

1) I'm sure most of you have seen the Old Spice commercials with Isaiah Mustafa where he's on a horse and making you wish your man smelled like him. Cthulhu saw it too and figured he could sell his own scented products. Here is his commercial:



2) I love Magic the Gathering. In one of the recent sets, Rise of the Eldrazi, a triad of very large evil creatures were introduced that were once worshipped as gods. They were imprisoned for thousands of years, but were awakened by some planeswalkers. Their only motivation is to eat, so they devour the mana and life energy of worlds, kind of like Galactus. These are some of the most difficult creatures to destroy or get rid of in the entire game. The makers of the game were inspired partly by such Great Old Ones as Cthulhu. I see the inspiration especially in the tentacles. Here are the three Eldrazi:

Emrakul, The Aeons Torn



Ulamog, The Infinite Gyre


Kozilek, Butcher of Truth


I totally see the resemblance. :)

1 comment:

M.A.D. said...

Titania,
Spot on! There is an undeniable resemblence there - beautiful art, eh?

Really enjoyed the Old Spice thing lol

Speaking of MTG, we've got a trunk full of at least 500/1000 cards I picked up at a yard sale last year lol
Played this back when it first came out (early 90's????) but it's been ages since. Had some tournament buddies who I think are still into it.

Much fun :D
Plus we still adore anything RPG ~