Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Guillermo Del Toro: At Home with the Monsters Part 3

The best thing about the exhibit was Guillermo Del Toro's love of the horror genre. Many actors, directors, and writers see horror as a way to break into the business and use it as only a stepping stone to something else. He has always be fascinated and views it as his home, revering high brow and low brow horror alike. He will continue to be inspired by and contribute to the horror genre.

* General horror art inspirations


I was especially excited to see Stephen Gammell's illustrations from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I loved these stories as a kid and the macabre, surreal art made a big impression on me.








* Other horror films




Compilations of Del Toro's films also played throughout the exhibit to link theme and imagery I didn't catch before. One of my favorite clips was a short film he directed for the show The Strain, which featured a luchador vampire hunter wrestling and then battling vampires. I had no idea luchador horror films existed and now I have to watch them. If you have a chance, definitely go to this exhibit. It's surprisingly large. These pictures are only some of what is displayed. I could have spent all day there.

No comments: