Friday, October 16, 2009

Who Killed Amanda Palmer?


Amanda Palmer is an incredibly talented singer, songwriter, and pianist. She is half of the punk cabaret duo, The Dresden Dolls, and has recently branched out with her own solo album, Who Killed Amanda Palmer. I have seen her in concert five times (both solo and with The Dresden Dolls) and she's simply amazing. She plays with such reckless abandon and passion and it charges her music. It is so unique compared to anything else I've ever heard. This beautiful and macabre book is the companion to her solo album. If you have no idea who she is and want to hear some of her music, here is her MySpace page and The Dresden Dolls' MySpace page.

I finally received this book after ordering it almost a year ago. Needless to say, I was so excited about getting the package that I might have scared the UPS man a tiny bit. The wait was worth it.

This is a beautiful coffee table-type book full of photographs of the dearly departed Amanda Palmer in various places and states of undress taken by a large variety of photographers. They are accompanied by wonderful short stories by Neil Gaiman and lyrics from Amanda Palmer's solo album. The photos are incredibly dynamic, each it's own little morbid and macabre vignette. Some of them are sad, funny, ironic, odd, beautiful, and gruesome, but all of them are unique. My favorite is of Amanda brandishing a sword triumphantly over her slaughtered, younger self.

Neil Gaiman's short stories are nothing short of genius. They go perfectly with the corresponding pictures. He utilizes different voices expertly to tell the story of a young girl with an abusive mother, a suicidal housewife, and others. The stories triggered strong responses in me. Some made me laugh out loud, but others disturbed and sickened me. It's amazing how such emotion and plot can be encompassed in so few words. The longest story is two pages, but each is like a window deep into each of Amanda Palmer's many deaths.

This awesome book is a great collaboration between two talented artists. It's a must-have for any Amanda F-ing Palmer or Neil Gaiman fan.

5/5

4 comments:

Misty said...

I have had the CD in my Ipod for MONTHS and haven't listened to it yet. What is wrong with me? I love the DDs, I really have no excuse.
But I didn't even KNOW about this. Man, I am so behind the times (god, who says <--- that anymore?).
I MUST look this up.

titania86 said...

Yes, you must! Let me know what you think when you listen to it.

vvb32 reads said...

ooh, that's a great cover. the way she blends into the couch. eery. gotta get this new gaiman ;-D

on another note - the camouflage reminds me of a hilarious scene in the Pink Panther (starring Steve Martin) where Steve is in a body suit that is the same coloring as this fancy wallpaper

hungeryjack said...

Nice post - fancy wallpaper ..Keep Posting


Ron
fancy wallpaper - 1024×768
FreeWallpapers