Thursday, October 1, 2009

Banned Books Week


I haven't been too active on my blog lately because I have school work and tend to procrastinate a lot. I know I'm late to the game, but I completely and utterly support reading banned books. I've seen the very large list of most banned books and all of them are banned for completely ridiculous reasons.
I saw on Francesca Lia Block's blog that people wanted to not only remove her book Baby Bebop from the shelves of the library, but also publicly burn it. That's both disgusting and shocking to me. This isn't Nazi Germany. Libraries just provide books; they don't tell you whether to read them or not.

Now I will leave you with an awesome librarian's response to a patron's protesting of Uncle Bobby's Wedding. Other librarians are encouraged to use this. Read it here.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I love the Censorship Causes Blindness thing. That's great. I heard about the Baby Bebop thing, too, and thought that was absolutely ridiculous/scary. It always sort of amuses me, too, because you'd have to buy the book to burn it, right?