Sunday, February 18, 2018

Women in Horror: Final Girls Horrorcast


The Final Girls Horrorcast is hosted by Aimee and Carly, focusing on the horror and science fiction movies streaming online. Their format starts with Trailer Trashtalk where they talk about an upcoming horror film's trailer, their first impressions, and if they would see it in the theater. They choose two films to review from some sort of streaming service that have a common theme, director, vibe, or subgenre. Their Social Media Question of the Week follows where they ask questions related to the films in the episode to their listeners. They read and comment on responses, give their own answers, and then close with what they're watching or doing. A few times, they brought in a friend unfamiliar with or uneasy about horror to introduce a film they might like in the Making a Monster episodes.

I love this podcast. It started with their very first episode where they covered It Follows and The Guest before their format was solid. Two women unabashedly drooling over shirtless Dan Stevens was what I needed to hear. So many horror podcasts are male dominated and actively objectify women so frequently that it feels alienating. I've stopped listening to multiple podcasts because of this and it's so refreshing to even have one or two episodes where women comment on men's looks ever. It's also nice to hear women's perspectives on horror that still seem to be pretty rare in the podcast community. For Women in Horror Month, they spoke with the women writers for the Modern Horrors website in a special featured episode.

Aimee and Carly talk about two movies an episode (with some theme to tie them together) and talk about what worked for them, what didn't, and just discuss together. Their commentaries can be serious or utterly hilarious or even drunken. One of their silliest discussions was on The Greasy Strangler involving merkins and fake penises that had me laughing uncontrollably on my way to work. They give their opinions honestly and I often do not agree with them. They look for different things in film than I do and have different perspectives. They also talk about Gilmore Girls (one of my favorite shows!), Downton Abbey, and Grey's Anatomy (in Carly's case) alongside the horror.

The Final Girls Horrorcast is one of my favorite podcasts and I eagerly listen every single week. Their Social Media Question of the Week and listener responses were the first thing that made me laugh after my father passed away, so they hold a special place in my podcast list. The only negative thing about their podcast is their association with the Modern Horrors podcast members who occasionally guest on their show. I don't enjoy them because they are insensitive and have awful opinions. Other than that, this podcast is amazing and I can't wait for their next month where they are taking listener requests.

No comments: