Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reading Questions Meme!


Here's a cute little survey I found on Pure Imagination. I usually don't do these, but I think these questions are better than the average reading survey.

1. Favorite childhood book?
The Hobbit and The Wizard of Oz. I loved to read as a kid and these are the books I remember my dad reading to me.

2. What are you reading right now?
Right now, I'm reading Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce and Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None right now.

4. Bad book habit?
Dogearing pages sometimes and flipping to the end to see how many pages are left, but seeing something important at the sametime

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
So many books: Sisters Red, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Dead Sea, Spells, Wings, Prophecy Sisters...

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yes, I have an older model Sony eReader. I like it, but I just don't read books on it very much. I prefer the feel of books in my hands.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I like to read 2 at a time, usually one book I own and one library book.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not really. The subjects of the books I read are effected by challenges and events but I read about the same amount.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Frankenstein's Bride by Hilary Bailey was a pretty painful read.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
So many books are good: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell, Changeless by Gail Carriger, Shiver by Maggie Steifvater....I could go on and on.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Not very often, but my comfort zone is pretty large.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
YA, historical fiction, horror, mystery, science fiction, fantasy, biography...

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, but sometimes I start to feel a bit sick.

14. Favorite place to read?
Comfy recliner chair in my living room or on my bed

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I will lend lots of people books, but sometimes I forget what I have lent.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Sometimes. I know it's bad.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Only in books for school where the notes are going to be used for papers.

18. Not even with text books?
I write in text books too.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English.

20. What makes you love a book?
Good flow, realistic characters, interesting plot

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Any time I feel inspired or am really emotionally effected by a book.

22. Favorite genre?
horror

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I rarely read romances, but I really don't wish I did.

24. Favorite biography?
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Nope.

26. Favorite cookbook?
I don't really cook in general.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera

28. Favorite reading snack?
Asian Pear Tea and mini muffins

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Sometimes books don't live up to the hype, but I don't let the hype ruin my reading experiences.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
It's about 50/50.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I do it, but I am sure to make very clear what I didn't like about it and what I did like about it.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
French. I've taken many years in this class, but I'm not fluent.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
No book has ever intimidated me.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
See above response.

35. Favorite Poet?
Edgar Allan Poe

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
at least 5

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
I used to do it often, but I try to be more diligent now.

38. Favorite fictional character?
There are seriously too many to remember, but I really like Deadpool.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Tyler Durden from Fight Club

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Anything I'm reading at the time.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Probably a few days. I start to feel icky if I go too long without reading.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I finish every book I read. Even A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man which was incredibly painful and one of the worst books I've ever read,

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Nothing! I get really into the books I read.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Fight Club and A Clockwork Orange.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
My Sister's Keeper and The Golden Compass

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I don't even know.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never!

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
I don't do this ever.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
No, sadly. I just put them where they fit because I have a limited amount of room.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
If I want to reread it, I keep it. If not, I give it away.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Nope.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
See Jane Hit: Why Girls are Growing more Violent and what we can do about it by James Barbarino and Dangerous Women: Why Mothers, Daughters, and Sisters become Stalkers, Molesters, and Murderers by Larry A. Morris. Both works are incredibly misogynistic and insulting to women, as well as rife with badly supported arguments. Both made me so angry.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Frankenstein's Bride by Hilary Bailey

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
anything with zombies!!

1 comment:

Sullivan McPig said...

Great answer on the last question! ;-)