Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thirsty


Nina Parker is a recovering alcoholic fresh out of rehab. The rehab was court ordered after she was arrested because of a drunken display in front of her ex-husband's house. She hit rock bottom, losing both her husband and her children. She moves back to her home town to start fresh, taking her teenage daughter with her for a short time. Nina is really trying to reconnect with her daughter and make amends for her past mistakes, but Meagan is an obstinate teenager who doesn't forgive easily. Meanwhile in the town, there have been a rash of ritualistic killings of animals, and later a human, that are gruesome and shocking to the small town. Do these murders have to do with Nina's attractive neighbor Markus, who seems to follow her around? Or is it the work of something else more sinister?

I liked this book, but it did have some problems. The story flowed very well and compelled me to read on. I stayed up way later than I expected to some days because I just got sucked into the story. Nina is a great flawed character, whose life and journey was the most interesting part of the novel. Her childhood dealing with an alcoholic parent to her adult life as an alcoholic (very much like her father) was interesting and heart wrenching. I was very emotionally invested in her life, her family, and what happened to her.

On the other hand, I love vampire novels and I don't really consider this one. The main focus is on Nina and her personal journey. The vampires serve as a means progressing in that journey and act as a reflection to her alcoholism. The vampires weren't as fleshed out as the human characters and seemed to just be props in the story. It also bothered me that Markus was just viewed by author as pure evil even though he did good things and struggled against his nature as a vampire. The ending was conveniently wrapped up perfectly. With the rest of the novel being so vivid, I felt it was contrived. Also, I didn't realize it was a Christian novel when I started reading it, which didn't bother me at first. However, near the end, the Christian message became very heavy handed, which didn't match the fluidity of rest of the novel.

Thirsty is an interesting novel about a woman and her addiction. If you are a fan of supernatural fiction, you might be disappointed. The novel has some flaws, but as a whole was a good, easy read.

**My rating: 3/5**

4 comments:

Zombie Girrrl said...

Hey, Titania! I just found a series that made me think of you! Here's the page at Barnes & Noble".
The author is having a last-ditch contest to get his ARCs into reviewers' hands called the Help Save Amanda campaign. Be sure to check it out!
~ZG

Zombie Girrrl said...

P.S. Great review! I had the same problem when I read Snap by Amanda Snow. It was supposed to be about the girl finding ghosts in her photography, but it wasn't really as prominent as it should have been. Like you said, a crutch.
This does sound intersting, though.

Alyssa Kirk said...

I had a similar problem with The EverAfter. I'm a urban fantasy lover and sometimes something touted as "urban fantasy" isn't. Thanks for a great review!

Nina said...

I havent read this book, but think I'm not going to read it in the future. The description sounds good, but i don't know..
Thank you for your review. :)