Monday, February 12, 2018

Upcoming Women in Horror Projects: Directors

TThese are the upcoming projects of women directors that I can't wait for.

* Tigers Are Not Afraid, Issa Lopez



I have heard nothing but good things about this indie feature from every podcast that has covered it in addition to accolades from Guillermo del Toro and Stephen King. This dark fairy tale feature is about a gang of five children surviving on the streets amidst brutal gang violence and the resulting ghosts. It sounds so much like The Devil's Backbone or Pan's Labyrinth and I love the mixture of fantasy and brutal reality. I can't wait until the film gets distribution because I will be first in line to see it in the theater.

* Revenge, Coralie Fargeat



I'm not normally into rape revenge movies because they tend to be incredibly exploitative under the guise of being empowering. However, Jen and Dawn from the Women in Caskets podcast loved it and admitted it isn't their usual fare. As far as I can tell, the plot follows the typical rape revenge model and I'm curious to see what makes it so different from others in the genre. It looks incredibly bloody and brutal plus people keep talking about Fargeat's point of view. It's supposed to release theatrically in early 2018, but I haven't heard anything about it. Look for it's release on Shudder.

* The Nightingale, Jennifer Kent


Jennifer Kent's debut film The Babadook made a huge impression and I'm eager to see The Nightingale, an 1820's Austrialian period film about a woman who witnessed the brutal deaths of her family and seeks revenge against the British soldier responsible. It takes place in a penal colony in Tasmania and I expect it has lots to say about colonization. I hope it emotionally resonates as The Babadook did and I have high expectations for it. It's set to release August 10.

* Rabid, Jen and Sylvia Soska


This remake was announced in 2016, but it's finally being made due to Shout! Studios. The film is set to follow Rose who undergoes experimental stem cell treatment after being in a horrific accident. The treatment heals her and makes her beautiful with a horrific side effect. I'm wondering if that side effect will still be a phallic stinger under her arm with death hugs like the original. I am so excited to see their version of this flawed Cronenberg classic.

No comments: